2  2 min
Many struggles because they do not know how to set boundaries and stand their ground. These people enter the role of “a victim,” allowing others to manipulate and use them.
Standing your ground takes courage and confidence; it requires you to leave your comfort zone and defend your views. Few are willing to do so!
Yet, contrary to popular belief, setting boundaries and standing your ground isn’t all that difficult. You can learn to be more assertive! Here are a few tips that will help you do so:
- Confidence. You need to be confident. If you are insecure, no one will believe what you’re saying! Have faith in yourself—and your ideas.
- Saying “no!” Don’t agree to everything. You do not have to do what you do not want to do. Eliminate your fears and defend your stance. Learn to say “no!” without feeling guilty.
- Self-love. People respect you more when you love yourself. They can sense your self-love. Therefore, to practice self-love, make sure to take care of your body and try to look good through healthy eating and regular exercise. Also, pay attention to the way you dress and determine if your clothes make you feel more confident.
- Body Language. Your body language betrays your thoughts. Your moves, gestures, facial expressions, manner of speaking, and posture impact the way others perceive you. Learn to control your body language. Don’t let it show your fear or communicate your anxiety.
- Communicating your wants. Many make the mistake of never saying WHAT they want. “I cannot stay after work, because I have to take care of the kids.” This is an excuse! Don’t excuse yourself—don’t try to justify your decisions. Say things like “I want to spend this evening with my family, so I will finish this work tomorrow.” You’re in control!
- Tone. Keep your tone friendly. Don’t become aggressive and do not attack others. Doing so would make you look defensive. Speak calmly and assertively, as this will make you seem more confident!
- How can you improve your confidence?
- How can you learn to say “no” without feeling guilty?
- How can you accept yourself?
- How can you use body language to exude confidence and stability?
- How can you stay and achieve what you want?
- What are some strategies that you can utilize in times of conflict?
Psychologist, family therapist, author
Subscribe to my channel for more interesting videos, articles, and updates.