32  2 min
I’ve practised as a psychologist and family therapist for over 20 years, and I’ve noticed one common denominator among everyone who struggles to find romantic and financial happiness. Do you know what it is?
It’s your relationship with your father!
If you have a negative relationship with your father, then you’re more likely to lose trust in men and the world; struggle to make ends meet; suffer in your romantic connections; and lead a life characterised by fear, pain, and worry. People who don’t have the support of their fathers are far more insecure, anxious, and worried than those who have a positive relationship with their dad.
So how’s your relationship with your dad, then? Do you fight? Are you close? Are you, perhaps, too close?
Take this simple test and find out if your relationship needs healing! Answer with a simple “yes” or “no” to every question. The answers will accurately reveal the state of your relationship.
- Has your dad always been there for you, emotionally and physically, when you needed him?
- Does your dad show genuine interest in your life, including your goals, achievements, and struggles?
- Do you feel comfortable opening up to your dad about your personal feelings and thoughts?
- Does your dad treat you with respect and kindness, even when you disagree or make mistakes?
- Do you and your dad enjoy spending time together, doing activities that you both enjoy?
- Has your dad been a positive role model, demonstrating values such as honesty, integrity, and empathy?
- Does your dad provide you with financial and practical support when you need it?
- Has your dad apologized and taken responsibility for his mistakes when he has hurt you?
- Does your dad acknowledge and appreciate your unique qualities and strengths?
- Does your dad encourage and support you in pursuing your dreams and passions?
If you answered “yes” to most of these questions, you likely have a positive relationship with your dad.
However, if you answered “no” to many of these questions, it may be worth exploring the relationship further and considering ways to improve it. That’s why I created my newest program, Your Relationship to Your Dad: The Foundation to Your Love Life & Financial Success, where I’ll teach you how to recognise the positive and negative influences of your dad’s actions; forgive him for the pain he may have caused you; and step into the future with love and confidence, building the financial and romantic reality of your dreams. Sign up here.